Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Day 7 - Alcatraz & San Francisco

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

We started this morning with a 9:00 departure for Alcatraz Island. The boat ride over treated us to some nice views of the Bay and the city. Arriving on Alcatraz, it's kind of surprising to see that the island is kind of beautiful. There are a lot of different species of plants there and tons of seabirds. Inside, however, is a different story. While the guides were instructing us where to go, I commented that I felt I really had to follow their instructions to the letter, or I would get in some kind of trouble. I guess I was already broken.

Alcatraz is really a terrifying place. Just imagining what it would've been like to be locked up there, with little to no prospect of leaving is the kind of thing I have nightmares about already, so this probably won't help.







After our time on the inside, we had lunch at a place called Tarantino's, with a great view of the Bay and of the Golden Gate Bridge. After all this, I was starting to think that San Francisco was a pretty great city. Little did I know, something was about to change my opinion of the city forever.

After mulling over our options, we decided to head to Golden Gate Park to check out the Japanese Tea Garden and the bison (hopefully). We rode one o fthe historic cable cars down to Union Square, which was another great-looking spot. Then, however, we stepped into Bum Territory. It started with the usual bum approaches, which we ignored as basically anyone would. But while I was looking at the map, a bum came up and started really getting in our faces and then started pounding his fist into his hand right next to my head. I wasn't really paying attention before that, but that was enough to make us decide it was time to start moving. We got on the 71 bus toward Haight-Ashbury, which proceded to pick up a revolving collection of bums, drunks and lunatics. By the time we reached the park, I felt I needed a shower and maybe a de-lousing.














The park was nice, but there's a lot of construction there. We stopped for some tea in the Japanese Tea Garden, which was a really nice spot. I was excited to see the bison, but apparently they herd them up and hide them away for the night at 5:00, so we missed them. Anyway, hopefully we'll be seeing plenty of big animals in Yellowstone.

We headed back to the South Bay (nice) area after this. We spent some time in what seemed to be the financial district, which is also very nice. We had dinner at an Indian placed called Gaylord. I don't think it's associated with the one in L.A., but it did prompt me to have a weird "leaving L.A." moment. After taking my first sips of Taj Mahal, I started thinking it would be cool to hang out in Gaylord's bar when I get back to L.A. Then I caught myself and realized that's not happening. Anyway.... Agent Orange ordered his Kofta extra hot, saying, "I know I'm an American, but I can handle it." Well, they gave him what he wanted. I took one bit and broke a sweat. To his credit, he finished most of it. That's some of the hottest stuff I've ever put in my mouth.

All in all, I like the city quite a bit, just stay off the bus. Tomorrow, we'll be checking out the Golden Gate Bridge and then heading up through Napa Valley on our way to Redwoods National Park. It's been fun to be in the city for a few days; but I'm excited about getting back out on the open road.

No comments: