Thursday, June 28, 2007

Day 23 - The Long Drive

Thursday, June 28, 2007

I spent all day today driving. I left Omaha around 9:30 and just got into Bowling Green, KY at about 10:30. It's been a long day and not too exciting. Unfortunately, most of the drive was through pretty boring grasslands. When it comes to driving, it's true what Jack London, The Doors and that kid from Into the Wild all said: The West is the best. The West is also behind me, as today I crossed the Mississippi River.

Anyway, I don't have too much to report from the day, so I'll just give a few random notes in lazy list format.

Agent Orange made it safely back to New Jersey.

Wilco's new album is not that great.

M.I.A.'s album drops Aug. 20 (can't remember if I already mentioned it; but it's worth noting twice).

I covered over 700 miles today, so I'm hitting the hay soon. Tomorrow, I'll be heading out to Mammoth Cave in the morning and then driving toward Great Smoky Mountains National Park (the final stop of the trip) in the afternoon, most likely. Since I don't have much to say about today, I thought I might reflect on the trip as a whole. But then I thought, "No, I won't." In fact, I'll save that for an epilogue I'll write when the trip is completely over. So, make sure you keep reading, even after the final day's entry is posted.

I've enjoyed my first blogging experience. It's definitely added something to the trip for me by forcing me to reflect everyday on what I've seen and done. Now, I'm sure many of you are thinking that these reflections are on about the level of a third grader describing his first viewing of Lord of the Rings: "Awesome!" "Spectacular!" Well, keep in mind I've been writing these things at the end of long days, in crappy hotel rooms, and without a professionally trained editor, secretary, or valet. Just wait until you read the Epilogue. Then you can judge me (but most likely you will be stunned into amazed and reverent silence).

Also, let me say thanks to everyone who has emailed me to tell me how much they're enjoying the blog. More people have faithfully followed my ramblings than I had anticipated and hearing from you has kept me writing instead of packing it in after the first weekend. In fact, I've even discovered that I have at least one reader who I have never met in person. So, I'm pretty proud of that.

Anyway, if you are enjoying the blog, it's always nice to see comments in the comments section. It helps me prove to other people that this isn't entirely an exercise in narcissism (although it mostly is) and that I actually do have readers.

Maybe I will keep writing about my adventures even after the trip is over. And if the day-to-day minutae of my life can't sustatin such an undertaking, I'll just start making things up.

2 comments:

Truck Stop News said...

Sorry it took for me to post a comment. I was just trying to think of something funny, interesting, witty or amusing to say. I also didn't have a Google account. But enough with excuses, here is my comment.

Ben said...

Do NOT give up on the new Wilco album. I also did not like it on the first few listens. But it gradually and SLOWLY grew on me and is now one of my most listened to albums. My favs: Either Way, Side with the Seeds, Please Be Patient With Me, Leave Me(Like You Found Me), Impossible Germany.

Now that I think about it, it took me a long time to warm up to most Wilco albums, but they're one of my favorite bands.