Monday, June 11, 2007

Day 6 - Whale Watching and S.F. Giants

Monday, June 11, 2007

I started today by throwing everything into the car and heading down to Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey to head out on a whale watching cruise. I should also mention that I was dressed like the Gordon's Fisherman. The boat eased out of the harbor, past the same group of Sea Lions that I saw yesterday, and out into the ocean. The water was a little rough, but just enough to be exciting.

About 30 minutes into the trip, the captain announced that some whales were spotted just out on our starboard side. Then, all of a sudden, they came out of the water right next to us, surprising even the captain. It's pretty amazing seeing these animals up close. Almost like clockwork, they would swim near the surface for about two minutes, then dive for five minutes before surfacing again. Each time they dove, they would raise their tales in the air before descending. At one point, they rose up headfirst, filtering fish from the water.

Aside from the whales, it was nice being out on the water in Monterey. For one woman, however, it wasn't so nice. She rushed to the edge of the boat and vomitted over the side right in front of me. She apologized, but it didn't really bother me. In fact, I thought about taking a picture.

After the cruise, I drove up to San Francisco where I caught a quick nap in the cell phone waiting lot before Agent Orange arrived. We headed to our hotel and took a quick stroll around Fisherman's Wharf (making it my second Fisherman's Wharf of the day). After a quick stop in a magic shop where we saw a few demonstrations, we decided to head over to AT&T park and catch the Giants game. This is a new park and it's really nice. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but it was still a nice place to hang out. Bonds hit a home run, so that was pretty cool.

1 comment: